Then on Saturday along came winter, and I think its here to stay! Tis the season of long johns, winter boots and hand warmers.
I love winter for manny reasons that ill get to, but as a training kayaker i also wish it came and went at my own selfish convenience. Wouldn't that be nice.... To wake up and think I want to go skiing today.. be winter... POOF snow , and then next day be like ok enough of that, I want to go kayaking... be summer... poof +27 and sunshine. But unlike the game of thrones we have 4 seasons that happen every year.
right now its winter.
- Its cold, and therefore out come the layers, it takes like 4 times as long to get dressed to go outside (in summer your just like flip-flops, sunglasses, done)
-driving. for the first week or so its like everyone is relearning how to drive. And scraping snow off the windows adds to the entire time thing.
- days are short, even if you did want to go play in the snow daylight is gone before dinner time.
- its dry (and that really sucks when you have to buy chap-stick every week because you keep loosing yours), bring on the nosebleeds :(
- ERG - its our simulation form of kayaking, associated with blisters and pain. But it makes us really fit so its not hat bad.
I think the good outweighs the bad though :)
-Skiing, we live right beside some of the best skiing/snowboarding in the world. Ill be the first to admit I don't take advantage of this enough but its awesome!
- Ice skating outside! Love, Love it.
- x-country skiing. There is nothing better than throwing on an audio book and just going. I was going to make some nerdy physiological references with this but I spared you :)
- the cute cold red noses (at least I find them adorable)
-Tobogganing! (I feel like a kid writing these, but maybe thats partly why I love winter, it brings out the kid in you)
-Sipping hot beverages beside a toasty fire. (inside or outside)
- the snow covered mountains. They are simply beautiful.
For us kayakers winter also means warm weather training camps!! this year we are going to the United Emirates in February :) http://www.wadiadventure.ae/
thats all... this is my get pumped for winter post.